Astley Castle in North Warwickshire was built in the 12th century originally as a fortified manor house. The property was substantially remodelled between the 15th and 17th century by the Grey family and again during the 19th Century when it was converted into a country home. In 1951, the house was granted Grade II* Listed status. In 1978, when in use as a hotel, it was badly damaged by fire. All that remained was a roughly rectangular range of ruined two storey buildings, with an embattled parapet. The below ground site and the curtain walls have been registered as a scheduled ancient monument since 1994.
The property, now managed by the Landmark Trust and assisted with funding from a number of sources including the Heritage Lottery, underwent a significant change that saw this historic landmark incorporated within an innovative scheme to provide contemporary holiday accommodation within the shell of the remaining castle. William Anelay was appointed to manage the clearing away of rubble and debris prior to the construction of the two storey property conserving and integrating the remaining castle walls as a historical feature.
The new build element incorporates low carbon contemporary materials, including an air source heat pump and green (sedum) roof technology. The building fabric has been conserved and constructed to exacting standards resulting in an extremely high quality finish as are the internal fixtures and fittings. On the ground floor, the holiday accommodation offers four double bedrooms, three bathrooms and a staircase and passenger lift to the first floor which provides large open-plan living space with panoramic views to three sides. Outside is a large and airy courtyard that invites al fresco dining. The property was officially opened and declared ready for use in July 2012. For more information visitwww.landmarktrust.org.uk